Explore Celebrate Thanksgiving with a Delicious Pumpkin Flowers Recipe
Sourcing from the following resources: Flowerpaedia (2018), authored by environmental artist and floral specialist, Cheralyn Darcey, Encyclopedia Britannica, britannica.com (sourced in 2020), and 100 Edible + Healing Flowers: Cultivating, Cooking, Restoring Health, (2014) authored by herbalist and arborist, Margaret Roberts. As autumn settles in, gardens come alive with the vibrant colors of pumpkins and their cheerful blooms. While most people appreciate the glory of pumpkins when they're fully grown, the delicate, edible flowers that precede them often go unnoticed. In this blog post, we'll explore the lesser-known world of pumpkin flowers, celebrating their beauty and sharing a delightful recipe that brings these seasonal treasures from the garden to your plate. - OXO
Our Favorite Pumpkin Flowers Recipe
1. Pumpkin Flowers Splendor
- Pumpkin flowers, both male and female, are delicate and bright, adorning the pumpkin vines with a touch of golden-yellow or orange. These ephemeral blooms are not just visually pleasing but also carry a subtle, earthy aroma.
2. Pumpkin Flowers Culinary Potential
- What many don't realize is that these beautiful blossoms are not just for decoration; they are also a culinary delicacy in many parts of the world. In various cuisines, pumpkin flowers are used to add a unique texture and flavor to dishes, making them a true hidden gem in the culinary world.
3. Pumpkin Flowers Ingredients: Stuffed Pumpkin Flowers
- Fresh pumpkin flowers (as many as you can harvest)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
4. Pumpkin Flowers Recipe Instructions:
1. Prepare the Pumpkin Flowers
- Gently remove the stamens and sepals from the base of each flower without tearing the petals. Rinse the flowers carefully and pat them dry with paper towels.
2. Prepare the Pumpkin Flower Filling
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan, minced garlic, chopped basil, salt, and pepper. Mix the ingredients well to create a creamy filling.
3. Stuff the Pumpkin Flowers
- Carefully fill each flower with a small spoonful of the cheese mixture. Be gentle to avoid tearing the delicate petals.
4. Seal the Pumpkin Flowers
- Gently twist the tips of the petals to seal the flowers, ensuring the filling stays inside.
5. Fry to Perfection Pumpkin Flowers:
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Dip each stuffed flower in a light batter if desired, then fry them until golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
6. Serve and Enjoy the Pumpkin Flowers
- Remove the stuffed pumpkin flowers from the pan and place them on a paper towel to drain excess oil. Serve them hot, garnished with fresh basil leaves and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Skip the Pumpkin Pie or Seeds this Thanksgiving for a Pumpkin Flowers Recipe
Pumpkin flowers, with their ephemeral beauty and culinary versatility, offer a unique way to celebrate the autumn harvest. By incorporating these delicate blossoms into your culinary adventures, you not only elevate your dishes but also honor the natural wonders of the garden. So, the next time you see those golden blooms in your pumpkin patch, remember the delightful recipe that awaits, bringing the essence of the garden directly to your plate.
Delight in the magic of the season by embracing the beauty of pumpkin flowers both in your garden and at your dining table. With a little creativity and a touch of culinary flair, you can turn these humble blossoms into a gourmet masterpiece.
- Need more flowers to brighten your day? Review our Floral Design Portfolio
Sources For This Article
Author - Naia Geni | Floral Designer | Senior Editor | @naiageni
Photos - Hebble3
Photos - Subas chandra Mahato
Photos - Uladzimir Cyargeenka
Photos - Syed Mirazur Rahman
Photos - Jovep305
Check out a tasty recipe for a grilled aubergine salad with eggs and nasturtium flowers by Margaret Roberts! This recipe can be featured with your next grilling dish for the summer season. Spice up your summer menu with family and friends with a tasty edible flowers recipe! Read More
About Us | Florboxoxo
Our mission is to communicate meaningful floriography by curating expressive designs for a rewarding experience with nature. From our online shop based in Denver, Colorado, our florists partner with professional arborists to arrange a creative blend of fashionably fun flowers delivered for any celebration!